Pages

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

T-shirt quilt

I've always thought t-shirt quilts were cool and thought, one day, I would make one.  Never did I think it would be as a memorial for a former student.  His mother taught at the nursery school my twins attended and her son was there also.  I had the opportunity to be his teacher in High School for World Cultures.

Unfortunately he was in an accident in January of his senior year which proved fatal.  Chris was a great young man and I know he would have accomplished great things.

So I ask his mother for some of his shirts.  It has taken me two and a half years - mostly because I did not have a comfortable experience with this project.  I doubt I will make another one... but I am glad that the one I made was in honor of Chris.


3 comments:

Sara said...

I think it turned out very sharp and I'm sure his family will treasure it. Dealing with the loss of any of our students is difficult.

Beth said...

You did a great job. It will be so special to his family.

marilyn said...

memory quilts are the hardest to make. T shirt quilts are especially hard because they are stretchy. I've made quite a few now and learned a lot with each one. I always say I'm not going to make another one, but when I see the reaction from the person who receives it, I get motivated to make the next one. I pray you never have to make another one, but find strength if you need to.
Marilyn