Saturday, July 6, 2013

A day with the Kevin....

aka.... ANTIQUEING!!!!!

Kevin and I took the day to explore some new antique places. We started in Columbia, PA - a lovely town on the banks of the Susquehanna River.  Columbia is on the opposite side of the river from Wrightsville.  During the Civil War, the people burned the bridge to prevent the Confederate Army from crossing.  Some historians believe this had a direct impact on the Battle of Gettysburg.

We weren't looking for anything special, but of course I zeroed in on the quilts and machines.  The first place was a bust on both of those items.  Then we went to Burning Bridges Antiques and BINGO!!!!  We found four treadle machines. One was a White... we dated her to between 1915 and 1920.  We found a Singer similar to the one I have with the Pharaoh decals on it.... but she was in really rough shape, like she had lived part of her life outside in the rain.  The third machine we found was a Davis.

Finally there was this one.  I love her beautiful decals.  According to the serial number, she is a 1921 model. I left her there, though I really wanted her to come home with us.  Kevin's right, we have two and for now that is plenty.

There were a few quilts I would have loved to bring home, but I took pictures of them instead.  The one that intrigued me the most was, as Kevin named it, Nine-Patch 360.  I love the way the plate wedges circle the nine-patch and I am very interested in figuring out how to duplicate it.

One quilt did come home.  It is a simple Dresden Plate and has a few stains that I am hoping will come out with a soak in Orvis soap.  I couldn't leave it there for the price.  Someone put a lot of love and thought into this quilt, and well.....

I hope everyone had a wonderful day as well.


5 comments:

KatieQ said...

It sounds like you had a lovely day. Finding all of those treadle machines in one place really was a treat.

Sara said...

Both quilts are unique and I'm glad you took the one home with you. It is too pretty to leave behind.

Katie said...

Ah yes. I have come to realize I can only sew on just so many machines at one time. SIGH.

Amy said...

Now, that's the way to live!!!
Loved hearing about your day out with hubby. And yup...can't wait to 'play around' with some fabrics to see about duplicating that 9-patch 360 :)

Beth said...

Beautiful quilts and lovely treadles. I sure wish I had room for one. I probably am not coordinated enough to use my fet and hands at the same time anyway. LOL