Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mother's Day... the antique way

Kevin finished mowing the lawn this morning while I was at school for a couple of hours getting ready for the week.

When I got home we decided to go on an adventure and check out a few antique places that we hadn't been to before.  We drove north to Carlisle and then toward Mt. Holly Springs.  The first place was nothing to sneeze at, but the next one was pretty nifty.


I sent the pictures of these two machines to Bonnie.  The treadle was labeled as an 1879 Household treadle machine.  The gal who owns the shop sells a lot of things on consignment, so it was priced at $489.  Obviously it did not come home with me.   She mentioned she had just shipped a Singer treadle priced at $750 to California... and it cost another $700 to ship it.  Seriously??!!! $1400 for a treadle????

The second is possibly a Singer 115.  The serial number dates it to around 1910.  It was as heavy as all get out.  It didn't come home with me either.

The last place we stopped was a place we had been before.  I found a gold/white quilt dated 1920, but it was a little out of my price range. A dealer was near by and said he had a couple of quilts in his downstairs booth.  So I followed him downstairs and found this.

Yes it came home with me. The binding is a little worn, and one of the flowers has some wear to it... but otherwise it is in good shape.

And on the way home we drove through the PA State Game lands and suddenly there was a Barred Owl.  Not the best picture, but all I had was my phone.

I hope all of the mothers out there had a wonderful Mother's Day!!!

4 comments:

regan said...

Sounds like you had a fun one! Awesome quilt! Happy Mother's Day!

Amy said...

Mowing lawn already?? LOL
Not us.

Aw Nancy...it sounds like you had a fantabulous Mother's Day today!
And now that our weather is starting to turn nicer, I'm actually getting a bit antsy about the nearing end of the school year.
Have a wonderful week!

Beth said...

Looks like a pretty quilt. Glad it came home with you.
Those machine prices were really up there!

Suzan said...

What a lovely Mother's Day!