Pages

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Estate Sale Find (aka Happy Birthday, again)

Kevin went to an estate sale this morning.  There were quilts advertised, as well as a treadle so since my head and the pollen count were having a battle he went to check things out.

I know what your thinking.... 'you just got a treadle'.  Honestly, we both thought if it was in decent shape and went for a decent price we would get it, clean it up, and sell it.  It was a Singer Model 66 and with the serial number I dated it to about a 1919.  He said the foot attached from the back which is different than what ours is.  As luck would have it, the veneer was coming off in some places and was taped together with masking tape.  Also, he said that the decals on the machine it self were in rough shape.  I was curious to know what it went for but he didn't stay to find out.

When he came home I asked about everything.  He said that there was one clearly labeled Chinese made quilt that went for $95.  Silly people.  

But....... what he did get was this BEAUTIFUL quilt.  He had texted me a picture of it and then called and I gushed... just a little.  It came home!!!!  Next weekend is my birthday, so I got it early.  Isn't it gorgeous???? I love the pink and blue... and look at the one block with the white background.

And the back!!! All pieced together from shirtings in whatever blocks they had.

The binding?? Well all she did was turn on the front over, the edges of the blocks are actually on the back.

I love it.  I think he is happy I'm not a shoe or jewelry fanatic.  There's just something about a quilt that makes me feel happy.

Have a great day!





4 comments:

Valerie the Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

Gorgeous estate sale find!!

regan said...

A totally awesome quilt....and perfect for your birthday present! Congrats!

Beth said...

What a great quilt! It looks almost as good on the back!
Happy Birthday

Katie said...

Gush??? You must be over the moon! :-D