Sunday, October 28, 2012

Waiting.....

I don't know who painted this picture, but it seemed appropriate as she is looking out over the water.

After two days of eerily-still air, the breeze is starting to pick up and the air, surprisingly, has gotten a little cooler.  Being 50 I keep the window open at night just a smidge and around 2 am I noticed a more pronounced chill in the air.

I saw on the weather channel that the outer bands of rain have begun to fall to the southeast of us.  Needless to say I'm worried.  Our oldest, Erin, is now living west of Philadelphia and while she isn't in a flood-prone area, this will be her first big storm away from home.  So we told her to buy some water, get a cooler and some ice and fill the tub.  One of the twins, Beth, is a freshman at Drexel.  Not sure what the university is telling the students, but I have told her if she has to evacuate to call her sister and Erin is ready and waiting. In some ways I feel totally helpless, but I have to have faith that we raised them right and that they will be ok.

The projection map is saying Sandy will be over top of us on Tuesday. Does that mean a day off from school?  Who knows.  But if so, we make it up unless the governor forgives the time off.  That happened once many moons ago because of snow..and snow... and snow....

So for me today I plan on staying here with Kevin and getting some sewing done.  My friends, the Sundae Quilters, are getting together but I just don't have the uummph to get up and go.  I think the nesting gene has kicked in and I just want to stay close to home.  Maybe I'm waiting for the call from Beth to come get her... I don't know.

So to all of my blog friends that are further east... take care and hugs and prayers coming your way.  Perhaps it won't turn out as bad as they are predicting... one can only hope.

Quilty Hugs!

3 comments:

scraphappy said...

We've already missed our day of school for Sandy and scheduled the make-up day for February. She didn't really come near us, but they were cautious anyway. Hopes that she isn't too serious for you all and that you are prepared to wait for it to move through. Waiting isn't the easiest for anyone.

Carol said...

You sound like a carbon copy of me right now. Lots of nervous pacing. Same conversations word for word with my kids. One daughter got the call that she is NOT to report for work in the morning. She is in Newport News, VA. Has been raining all day long there. Tried to get her to head in to Richmond to her sister's house but she won't go:(

Katie said...

It was a non-event in the Raleigh area but I'm watching anxiously as my son is in Norfolk and my brother lives a bit north of Atlantic City. Yikes!