Saturday, September 22, 2012

A new chapter....

Well, we've reached a new point in our lives.  Erin is out on her own, working as a staff attorney at the Third Circuit Court of Appeals in Philadelphia.  Abby has been busily adjusting to college life at Indiana University of Pennsylvania since August 25.  And just this past Wednesday, Beth started her college career as a film and video major at Drexel University in Philadelphia.

Are we truly empty nesters??? I don't think so; the twins will be back from time to time.  Four years from now........ yep, definitely.

So I am trying to learn to grocery shop and cook for two.  I made a pan of lasagna tonight, freezing half of it.  Took Kevin and I all of 10 minutes to eat supper, then clean it up.  That's a record.

I've also come to the realization that no one else is going to clean out the cat box, clean the bathroom, get the mail, fold the clothes, etc..................

I trained them all so well.... why did they have to go and grow up?

Have a great weekend!

8 comments:

Amy (lilme2_99) said...

Nancy dear, I can not imagine being at your stage yet, still having the small feet (except Cassie's) running circles around me here. But, your comment of "taking all of 10 minutes to eat and clean up" absoLUTELY made me laugh! Now THAT I could imagine!!!

I hope you find a happy transition and some "you" time. (or "you and Kevin" time, if that sounds any better) :-)

Carol said...

Learning to cook for two all over again is the hardest thing...well, second hardest thing. Getting used to everyone being gone is the first! You'll find a new groove quickly. It didn't take us too long.

Beth said...

Actually you can just stop cooking. LOL Seems like that is what I did.
At any rate my house stays cleaner longer these days.

Paula, the quilter said...

Cooking for two was a very hard thing to learn. We've been empty nesters for 17 years now. Wow! has it been that long? The cleaning and picking up, however, has not abated since the grumpy old man never learned how to do so.

Pauline said...

hi Nancy, it is a funny change for a while...sometimes you will love it..sometimes hate it..but you will get used to it..its great to see your children carve out their own lives but come home when they can..hope its not too hard on you my friend..
cheers

Barb said...

The hardest thing is cooking for just two...the cheese and bread would always spoil.

Michelle said...

I feel ya sista! This very day we are taking our youngest to his first duty station with the Air Force. He is truly out of the house now (been living on campus for 4 years but home on some breaks). It's bittersweet for sure...Hugs!

MulticoloredPieces said...

Hi, Nancy. I found having an empty nest to be painful and I had sworn I wouldn't feel that way! But it passes. Lots of stitching to be done! Hope the new school year is going well for you.
best, nadia