Pages

Monday, July 16, 2012

Granny Squares.....

I need another project like I need another (fill that in as you like). I have seen on a couple of blogs that there is a granny square or great-granny square quilt along. The difference being that the great grannies have one more round on them.

 Anyway, I have always like this block. I've seen variations of it, one was called the Chimney Sweep. It isn't a block that I am breezing through. I'm doing one at a time. You have to be very careful when pressing so that the rows don't stretch and distort. I'm using Kona Natural for the centers and background and then my Civil War fabrics for the rest. For now I'm trying to be matchy-matchy with the colors in the CW prints, but I know that will, at some point, run out of coordinated combinations.

 I know that I will end up putting sashing between the blocks in the Natural as well, and perhaps corner stones of different CW prints, but I can't decide if I like them straight or on point. Opinions???? Come on, I know you have them :o) I can see this as an on-going project throughout the school year. If I get the pieces cut and put into their own special project box, I could get at least two blocks done each week (wishful thinking??)


 Hope it isn't too nasty hot where you are.

6 comments:

Amy (lilme2_99) said...

I have seen these on blogs around too, ..... BUT I HAVE RESISTED!!! :) ({{so far}})

And YUP! MUGGY, HOT, swealtering!!!!
But I'm all packed up to surprise the girls with a Beach afternoon; picking them up shortly from Summer School and we're going directly to the Beach House to change into suits :)

floribunda said...

I like the blocks straight, so the design appears to be on point -- does that make sense? I'm on the north shore of Kauai this week, warm but not hot, a little muggy with intermittent rain showers!

quiltfool said...

Personally, I'd vote on point. I love on point. Lane

scraphappy said...

Cute blocks, I think they look best straight. When you put them on point, especially without sashing, it is a quilt you could do with just squares. Hope you find time to keep them up when school starts, so many things get dropped when it gets busy.

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

I like the blocks straight with this pattern.

Beth said...

I think any setting looks good when you have lots of fabrics. I usually have to play once I have a bunch of blocks made.
Having everything ready to pull out and sew makes it more likely that you will get some done once schools starts.