Pages

Monday, July 30, 2012

A learning process............

In January, 2011 one of the members of the senior class was killed in an auto accident. I had known this young man since he was about four years old and I count his mom as a dear friend. Last summer I told her I would make her a t-shirt quilt, but with everything going on I didn't get the t-shirts until the end of August. So over Christmas break, I went back to her and asked her to go through them to make sure I would be using what she wanted off of each shirt.

 When I say a learning process, I mean from the ground up. I've never done this before and I'm sort of feeling my way through it. I didn't want to use little designs and have HUGE blocks of blank t-shirt so I decided to make them all different sizes. Needless to say, I have added another iron to the fire of frustration. It is slowly coming together, and I like what I see so far.

 Mom asked for black, off-white, and a rusty red; the last two colors will be in the border. They had just picked out new bedroom furniture and paint for his room two weeks before he died. She went ahead and ordered the furniture (it is black) and painting the room the way he wanted it. I thought that while it might be painful it was a nice tribute to his life.

 So I thought I would share what I have so far. Stay tuned as this slowly comes together. I would like to get the center done before school starts.

 Quilty Hugs!

7 comments:

scraphappy said...

I am so sorry you are making the quilt as a memorial, but I am sure it will mean a lot to his parents when it is done. You didn't choose the easiest route, but I am sure it will be great when it is finally done.

Pat said...

What a wonderful and meaningful way to support this family and remember their son! Quilts are so much more than a bunch of fabric and thread sewn together. It looks beautiful.

Michelle said...

It is looking like it's coming together nicely. It's definitely a learning process, I can see! I have yet to make a tshirt quilt either...but it's on my list of things to at least try once in my life. Good luck!

pajudie said...

That looks great, Nancy - I like the different sizes - makes it interesting. Good job :o)

Beth said...

It is looking good. I like that you are using only what is important from the shirt. I am sure that is what is making it more difficult to put together. It will be amazing when you finish and a lasting tribute for his family.

Katie said...

Looking good! I'm sure she's going to love it. :-)

Alycia said...

I love how it is coming together. YOu are doing a very loving thing, she will cherish it forever...