Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Memories and tears...........

There was another school shooting yesterday.... this time in Chardon, Ohio. I had the opportunity to attend Chardon High School for my 9th, 10th, and 11th grade years. Believe me, moving the summer for my senior year is one of those things I have always regretted and something I know I should let go of but .... well........ And does saying "another school shooting" mean I'm becoming as used to this as many people are???? God, I hope not.

I have been on the verge of tears for two days now. I can see the cafeteria, I can remember sitting there, walking in the front door, standing in the lobby... so many wonderful memories.

As a parent and a teacher I wonder why. Why are our children so angry, where have they learned that violence is acceptable. I used to laugh at the influence of music, videos and games........ of course, that was when I was a teenager. As a parent I now think maybe they were right.......

And why do our kids think it is ok to ridicule others?

For some reason I have hung on to my varsity jacket. It has shrunk after 25 years and four children :o).... Ok, I've grown. So Abby entertained her mother's trip down memory lane and put it on for me and let me snap some pictures.

I miss Chardon... it is a beautiful town. Hilltopper pride... we will overcome!

7 comments:

Wendy said...

Every time I read about another shooting in public school it makes me so glad that I homeschooled all my children until they graduated from high school. It is so sad that children/young adults in America are so angry with the world that they choose to do such horrible things. My heart goes out to all the parents and families that this ugliness has touched.

Linda said...

My cousin, Beth Mullins, went to Chardon High school in the 70's. I have a cousin's grand-daughter who was there on Monday. She was safely hiding in a classroom, but I fear that she will never feel safe at school again.
Linda in southern Illinois

Barb said...

This is truly sad and I know it is even harder for you since you went to school there.

Pauline said...

just awful nancy...so sad when something like this happens...

Beth said...

It is really so hard to understand how such young people can be so violent and angry.

Linda said...

I was so saddened by this news of another school shooting. It's starting to be common place now. It's really sad when you don't feel comfortable sending your kids to school. My thoughts are with you.

rubyslipperz said...

I, too, have some of the very same questions you asked in your post...why are children so angry? and why do they think that violence will solve things? and what's with all the bullying?

I was bullied when I was little. It was VERY hurtful at times. I would go home and cry to my parents and, they were able to make me feel better. Its been many, many years since, and one's heart still feels a bit tender to think about it. But, I do think that it's made me feel more compassionate towards people who might seem different. It's always made me feel the need to stand up for the "underdog".

Somehow...there's a gap where young people (maybe older ones too) haven't been taught that it's wrong to hurt others...either physically or emotionally. I'm not sure how to fix it. =(