Pages

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Reading Red

What determines Red???

Our challenge at guild - as stated by your's truly - is red and white. My goal in doing this was to use my red pieces in a red scrappy Bonnie Hunter pineapple quilt (I think I just answered my own question).

So, are the maroon reds 'red'? Are the pink reds 'red'?



If I take a page out of Bonnie's book, it doesn't matter. I took a look at the reds she pulled for her Orca Bay mystery and they run from pink-red to maroon-red. So why am I worried about this?

Probably because someone in my guild will say "You said red and white. Why do you have prints in there? Why do you have maroons in there?"

So now that I have asked the blog world and probably answered my own question at the same time, I venture forth into the sewing room and start cutting. Who knows, I might even have enough for the Orca Bay mystery when I get around to it.

Have a great day!

6 comments:

Connie said...

I think a 2-color quilt is more interesting if there is a variety in each color. So for red, I'd do the maroon reds through the pink reds through the orange reds as well as more "true" reds.

Katie said...

I'd go with the variety. Last thing you want to be is boring! ;-)

Julie Fukuda said...

I am doing the same thing sorting my bin of green scraps. Light, dark, blue-green, olive, and those prints ... at what point do they go into another box? Toss them all in. It will be more interesting.

Barb said...

You are so funny.....and well...you are like the rest of us...worry about this and that...glad you are going ahead with what you have there!

Melinda said...

I actually have a quilt named "All Reds Go Together". It has every type of red in it and I love it. I made it years ago in a class with Mary Ellen Hopkins.

Sherry said...

I took a class many, many years ago. . . I think it was with Judy Hopkins, but it may have been Eleanor Burns (the memory is a bit fuzzy) but the comment stuck with me: all shades of red go together.

Then she showed a quilt done with every variation of red that you could imagine. It was wonderful & made me look at red in an entirely different way.

Can't wait to see what you come up with.