Pages

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Hoop Question

I would like to put a call out for advice, preference, 'don't use that one'.... what can you tell me about your hoop?

I currently have an older model of the Grace Lap Hoop (mine doesn't swivel) and I really like it. Unfortunately, the legs tend to detach from the base and Kevin, bless his heart, is going to do his best to fix it... but I was thinking of trying something else that isn't so technical.

Am I making any sense??????

I wish I could test drive hoops... like a car. *sigh*

Thanks for your help!

4 comments:

Sherry said...

Hi Nancy:

I have old hoops. My favorite one is a 14" round on a stand. I love using it. I don't know how old it is but the hoop is at least 2" wide so it keeps my quilts nice & taut.

The other hoop I use is a 21" Hinterberg hoop on a center stand. I don't think that one is the same width, but it is pretty close.

There is a quilt shop that vends at the Lancaster area shows. . .not sure that I remember the name correctly -- I'm thinking it is Schlosser's -- or something like that.

If memory serves me they carry a variety of supported hoops; round ones, oval ones, etc.

They may be in Lancaster County. . .or at least near it. . .perhaps they have hours that would be helpful for you (if you are close enough) to at least try the "feel" of them.

Good luck.

paula, the quilter said...

I have 2 hoops that I use, neither is on a stand. One is approx 24" diameter and the other is 14". Love 'em both.

Trudi said...

I use a hoop I've had for at least 10 years that is about 18" that is used without any stand. I also have an oval border hoop too that works great for borders. Wish I could help more :)

Julie Fukuda said...

I have three sizes of lap hoops. I wish I had an oval one but the only time I saw one for sale, I didn't have enough money.
I had one on a stand but the height was not good and one of the legs broke. Now I have a custom made one with adjustable height but my room is too small to set it up. Sigh!