Sunday, September 5, 2010

Thread colors and other musings

The first week of school is over and I survived (needless to say I was beat on Monday). Five days down.... 175 to go; am I actually counting???

I have some squirrelly kids this year... but I am sure they will work that out before too long. The first week is always crazy with assemblies, pictures, etc.

On top of the first week I had to go and buy yet another router... the ports in the one I had were blown and the desk top wouldn't connect to the web - though the lap top would connect wirelessly. Weird.

On the topic of thread.... what colors do you use the most often? I tend to use off white and black.. sometimes grey... for piecing. I don't get all matchy-matchy when I piece... do you? I am just curious.

So I hope everyone else is having a wonderful Labor Day weekend here in the states and if you are not in the US... I hope you are enjoying the weekend you are having/had.

Happy Quilting!!!

11 comments:

Barb said...

I only match when I am quilting the item...or try to...alot of time I use white for that as well. so it is white and black.

Pat said...

A very good friend of mine turned me on to Aurifil Mako tread. It's not cheap, but it goes a very long way -- 2 ply 50 weight is what I use most. I always have spools of white, light grey and dark grey on hand, but the one I use most is a cone of a light beige. The cone set me back a lttle more than $30 at a quilt show, but I have been using it for a year. A YEAR!

I like to have at least 2-4 bobbins of each color pre-wound as well. Because it's only 2 ply, the bobbin holds significantly more of the Aurifil than it does of other threads, so I don't need to change bobbins nearly as often. In addition, it produces very little lint.

Then there is the collection of Sulky and King Tut variagated quilting thread I keep for machine quilting smaller pieces....

Word Verification: swearing. Swearing is the 2nd language of many a quilter.

orchidlover said...

I use cream as it seem to blend in with most fabrics. I have a friend who only uses shades of grey for the same reason

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Nancy said...

I also use Aurifil for piecing..

I buy white, off white, gray and black. That takes care of most anything...

I used to do a lot of machine applique so I still have a lot of that thread left that I can use to match if I have to top stitch something. I think it is Guttermann.

Janet said...

I use beige or grey mostly for piecing. But I have lots of other colours that I use for topstitching or quilting or applique. Love your bobbin display.

Beth said...

Have a good school year.
I use off white and grey usually. Sometimes if the fabric is mostly white or black I will use Black or white thread. I only get other colors when I need to top stitch something.

Tracy said...

Just off white or cream for me...I've not tried any grey yet.

Quilting_Chris said...

I use lot's of grey and some black and white. I prefer to use Aurifil but have some masterpiece I am going to try.

Good Luck with your school year passing quickly.

Melinda said...

I use a medium beige most of the time and now that I have switched to Aurifil that is all I use. I do use white and black sometimes if I am working with pure white or black backgrounds but the beige is on the machine about 90% of the time.

Gari said...

I tend to use either a light beige or white. But I don't worry about it too much because with good pressing the piecing thread is never seen.

Katie said...

Yep. White, off white and various shades of grey. :-)