Pages

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Homemade Apple Sauce




When I was little and we lived in Louisville, KY we would go over to my grandmother's house for the Sunday meal after church. I remember in the fall she would have homemade applesauce. It was sooooooo good.

When I got married and Erin was little, we would visit with Kevin's grandparents (in the house we live in now) and Gram taught me how to make applesauce. She had this cool thing that to me looked like something out of a Sci-fi movie. It is a cone shaped sieve with a wooden pestle that you use to mush the apples through and into a bowl.

So, while grocery shopping today I bought some Macintosh apples and came home and made applesauce. Abby insisted a photo journal needed to be made and posted on the blog. It is so yummy!!!! Can't wait to eat some tonight with supper.

8 comments:

Vicki W said...

There really isn't anythng more sublime than homemade applesauce!

BlueRidge Boomer said...

Hey!....i made 5 quarts of applesauce today, also.....it's not as hard as it looks.....and the male child peeled them for me with the applepeeler......love the apple peeler!! Try warm home-made applesauce over french vamilla ice cream.....to die for!!

Enjoy...LindaMay

Pat said...

My mouth is watering for some of that homemade applesauce now!

*karendianne. said...

Sublime is the perfect word. I'm glad someone was there to do some dern insisting.

Jeanne said...

We made applesauce yesterday, too. It sure has a wonderful aroma while it's cooking.

Sharon T in Lynden said...

I've been making applesauce lately as well in my crock pot. Cut them up, add whatever and let it cook all day in there. Run it through my food mill and voila!! It is so great. I'll miss the apples when we have cooked them all up.

Pat said...

We picked 90 pounds of apples last year with the grand kids. We split all of it up between 3 families, but that's still a lot of apples. I made apple sauce, then froze it in plastic containers -- we are still pulling it out of the freezer and enjoying it! No sugar added whatsoever -- just a little cinnamon. I use it as a sweetener in my oatmeal!

Carol said...

I have one of the cone things. It used to belong to my m-i-l. Definitely helps to make great applesauce.