Pages

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Finished in one day (well almost)


I still have to buy the button for it, but otherwise I have it cut, sewn, and ready in one afternoon/evening.

A teacher I work with loves flamingos. I found the fabric this summer when our guild went on a shop hop down to Annapolis and Gaithersburg, Maryland. I was originally going to make it like the scrappy Weekender Bag, cutting up the flamingo fabric with some other FQs that I bought. But the more I looked at those goofy birds I knew I couldn't cut them up.

So the bag is totally Flamingo, inside and out. The inside pockets are the bright green like the palm trees and I quilted it using a bright green Masterpiece thread I had leftover from another project.

Oh, I also used regular batting instead of fusible fleece this time. I quilted the first two pieces and it just didn't seem to have enough stability. So the outside pieces are quilted with double batting. Needless to say when I top stitched around the top, I had to hand crank the needle through the side seams or I am sure it would have broken.

I love this pattern. I can some more of these being made as gifts down the road.

8 comments:

BlueRidge Boomer said...

Too Cute!!

Enjoy....LindaMay

Linda said...

Great bags! I am sure your friend will love it! Great gift idea!

Barb said...

Great job!!! Love it!!

Sharon T in Lynden said...

very cute bag!!! I have seen so many cute patterns, but just can't quite make myself a "bag lady"...
A one day project is always great.
Looking forward to seeing what else you come up with.

*karendianne. said...

This one came out great! How nice. Dig the fun fabric and your work is lovely. Definitely - great gifts.

Piwacket said...

I'm so glad your thumbnail took me to a larger picture of the bag so I could get the full effect of those goofy flamingos. It looks great!

Oh my. I don't think I'd ever brave a double layer of batting in a bag. It seems that mine always have enough bulk to go through, especially when I'm working on the handles. You did a super job.

pajudie said...

Nancy - I love that bag!!! Which pattern is it???
Judie

Barb said...

Sweet bag, your friend will love it, I am sure! WOW to hand crank your needle thru the layers is truly dedication for the gift to your friend! I love the Flamingo idea!