Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Regulated v Non-regulated


I guess I should start off by saying I love my Bernina machine(s) that I have owned. I love the way they sew and I loved my 150 for quilting. I had decided to give Viking a try and while I liked the way it sewed, I didn't like it for free-motion quilting because of the shape of the front of the machine - I couldn't see what I was doing.


Now that I have the Bernina Aurora 440 QE, I decided it was time to give the regulator a second try (I had test driven it when it first came out). My impression is still the same....... I don't like it. I have been told that if you learn to free-motion without a regulator, trying to use one is nothing but frustration. I totally agree. I know that when I go to a quilt show and play on the long arm machiens, I always asked them to turn the regulator off.


So while I love the way Aurora sews, I won't be using the BSR and it will be sleeping in its little box in the drawer. I do know one thing........... if I tell hubby I want to change machines again, I'll be sleeping out in the garage LOL


Quilty Hugs!!


7 comments:

PattiCakes said...

I have only done free motion WITH the BSR, and I must admit that it sometimes gets away from me. I will have to try a sample without.

Barb said...

I keep waiting to be moved out to the garage....I don't like my Bernina...just got a pfaff.

Suzan said...

My sister has the BSR on her Bernina and she is not happy with it. The stitches do not look "regulated" and if you move it at a fairly brisk pace, the beeping noise is really annoying. I DO like the regulator on the long arm when I am doing larger patterns or designs. When I am tightly stippling or doing anything remotely intricate, I turn it off, use my pinky fingers as a guide and go. You can probably find someone to purchase the BSR from you.

The Quilting Pirate said...

Well, how big is the garage? Maybe there's more room for an extra sewing machine or two? :)

Jan said...

I've got the HQ16 machine, and when "test driving" it and other models, I didn't like the feel of the SR either!

Quilter Kathy said...

Thanks for the giggle today! Hope you don't have to sleep in the garage! Interesting to read about the stitch regulator. I have been thinking about that topic a lot this year...wanting to improve the quality of my quilting, and wondering if a stitch regulator would help?

Michelle said...

I have the 440QE as well and once I became proficient in free motion quilting, I found I preferred not to use the BSR. In fact, I've moved on to another machine and now must sell my Bernina! I switched to Babylock Espire and I love it!!