Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Last big cutting fling of the summer



I think I'm coming down with an end of the summer cold......yuck!! This isn't something I wanted to start the school year with. Needless to say I'm not in the best of moods to start thinking about getting ready for school. So I decided to spend a couple of hours cutting pieces for another project.

Thanks to Bonnie Hunter's Scrap Users System, I've been cutting ends of pieces of fabric into useful size strips and my drawers holding those strips are over-flowing. Two years ago a few of us at guild got together and shared strips and made her Pineapple Blossom pattern. Now I've decided to use more of the strips and make her Crayon Box pattern. I've changed it a little as I am using two inch wide strips instead of 2.5-inch.

As you can see I was busy cutting. I had made one block a long time ago to see if I liked the scrappy look of it and only found it a couple of weeks ago. Love the little tally marks on the post it note? By the end I was getting a little tally mark crazy. I had to cut 216 pieces at 3.5-inches long, 144 pieces at 4.5 inches long, 72 pieces at 6.5 inches long and 36 squares 3.5 inches square for the centers of each block.

So tomorrow I will head to school while the twins are out school clothes shopping with their grandmother. Time to get my rear in gear for the year (LOL.... great rhyming).

End of summer hugs to you all!!!

5 comments:

Pat Deck said...

LOVE the duckies!!! What a happy quilt!

BlueRidge Boomer said...

School started here on the 6th of August......??!! Retirement is wonderful....gives me more time to quilt...no wait i'm still working..just in another profession.....State Park are wonderful.....!!!

Enjoy....LindaMay

Barb said...

Gotta have that last fling....can't wait to see the scraps made up.

pajudie said...

I'm impressed, Nancy - are you bringing that on Sunday? Hope you don't have a cold so you can come :o(
Judie

Annie said...

Sorry about your cold ...... I hate being sick especially in the warmer weather. Bonnie's Crayon Box is a great quilt to use up your scraps. I did one a couple of years ago ....... good luck with the start of school - we still have a couple of more weeks as we start after Labor Day......