Thursday, July 30, 2009

Tri-recs ruler and Jelly Roll Strips



I recently bought the book "Layer Cake, Jelly Roll, and Charm Quilts by Pam and Nickey Lintott. I want to make a quilt in it that is similar to a 54-40 in that it has the 60-degree star points. In the directions they have you using templates and a method to put the side triangles on the background triangles of the star points.

here is my question............ is it possible to use the tri-recs ruler on a jelly roll strip? I'd be going perpendicular to what the directions on the ruler say (using a 2.5-inch strip and going along the length of the strip instead of a 4.5-inch strip..... can you picture this???)

Anyway.... what do you think? Will it make a difference when putting the side triangles onto the background triangle for the star points?

6 comments:

Vicki W said...

Try it and see! Then let the rest of us know. :)

Pat said...

Whoa...that is too hard a question for ME with my little experience as a quilter, but I'll be watching to see if you get a solid answer. If you do, maybe you can post more about it. I think I have a Tri Recs ruler around here and have never USED it yet.

Ginger Patches said...

I have used my tri-rec ruler on jelly strips before, but I'm having trouble picturing exactly what you mean...

Teri said...

I wouldn't want to sew all those bias edges together. That is just me. The tri-rec's ruler isn't exactly 60 degrees (learned that one the hard way)

Judy said...

I would try both ways on some scraps and see how it works. I love the tri recs rulers. I think if you are careful cutting with the rulers, you will have straight edges on the sides of your blocks. Right?

scraphappy said...

Would it be easier to cut the strips into the proper length sections first and then trim each of those into two sections. It looks in the picture like you can get maybe a 4 inch section with the ruler. So maybe if you cut that much off you can trim slice it in half with the ruler. I think I'll try it and see what happens.