Pages

Friday, March 13, 2009

Is it just me???

I was looking at a fabric website today. I won't say which one because it could have been any that sell the pre-cuts in strips, large squares or smaller squares.

So I did some math, and I hope I'm right. If you get 40 10-inch squares in the pack; that means you can equate this to four squares across the width of the fabric, and 4 x 10 = 40. So you are are getting 100-inches, all but 3 yards, of fabric and you pay $35.00. But three yards of fabric, might only cost between $20-30 depending on where you get it.

I guess we are paying for the convenience of it, I don't know. Perhaps this is why I rarely buy pre-cuts. I just like to look.

Ok, I'm done. Let's move on to the next crisis :o)

7 comments:

Beth said...

Yes BFF, it's just you LOL....

But seriously, think about if you had to buy 10" x WOF of each of those fabrics in the line and how much you would spend (if you could even buy 10" x WOF, alot of places have 1/2 yard minimums), it would be alot more than $35. Yes you are paying for convenience, but you are also getting variety when you pay that premium. I personally like the look of organized scrappy so I like to work with the precuts so that the fabrics tie together very nicely :)

Julie said...

And if you have ever worked with them they get fuzzy lint everywhere!! I bought a couple but then realized I didn't really like them that much.

Bonnie said...

I tend not to buy a whole lot of new fabric nor do I buy much in the way of precut be it strips, 5" squares, cake whatever they are called. But, just around Christmas I did buy 4 or 5 5" square packs. Several were on sale so I felt "somewhat" virtuous.

The surprising thing was how much they made me feel like I had current fabric. I didn't really. I've only used one piece. I gave away one pack which was well received. Overall, I was pleased. I may just pet these for a while but I enjoyed receiving them a lot!

Suzan said...

I only buy pre-cuts when they are seriously on sale. Even though I absolutely hate to cut, I am still too cheap to pay for the convenience!

The Calico Cat said...

I think that "we" are paying for the convenience & variety. And I think that "they" are counting on you not doing the math.

Where is that restaurant in Gettysburg? We go up there at least once a year... (Used to be twice before the quilt show moved.)

Sweet P said...

I seldom buy pre-cut fabric unless it's an awesome price. For example, when a charm pack is selling for around $4. I don't buy pre-cut strips because I was given a pack once and it was poorly cut.

Melinda said...

I think that Beth has a good point. You are paying for the variety. If you tried to get 5 inch squares of an entire line of 40 fabrics, you would have to by 1/4 yards of each and have a lot leftover that you may or may not want.

I like precuts for some projects.