Pages

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Grammy Dot's Quilt







Finally a post about quilting!!!!



My husband's great aunt lives next door to us. The house we live in had been his grandparents'; his grandmother and his great aunt were sisters. When Erin was born, we started to refer to his aunt as Grammy Dot. She has always been like a Grammy to our kids and always helped out watching them when she could, keeping an eye on the cats when we go away (she strongly dislikes cats by the way) and all of those other things a Grammy does.


Earlier this summer, she asked me if I could put some more quilting on a 'quilt' she bought at the department store. Well I think you all know the answer to that one. I told her that the fabric was too loose and it would get all bunchy and I didn't know if it would tear in the machine. So I told her to send it back and I'd make her one.



As you can see she has two twin beds pushed together (her husband passed away 10 years ago) and she wanted it to long enough from side to side that it was down to the bottom of the mattress/top of the bed frame. She wanted it bright and colorful, but not with a lot of blue (she isn't much of a blue person). Low and behold, I had this Turning 30, Again in my unfinished tops box. I call it a Turning 30 since I used 30 Fat Quarters. My girlfriend Donna quilted it on her Milli.......... I think she did a fantastic job. It was my idea to put the mums in some of the larger squares and I think they turned out lovely.



The quilt is 94x110 - she has it turned on its side. Tomorrow is her birthday and I just couldn't wait to give it to her. I still have to make a label for it but I figure I can do that any time.



I am estimating that I busted about 19 yards of stash on this one.... I know the FQs alone totalled 17.5 yards. Nineteen down......... a gazillion more to go!!!!




15 comments:

Sweet P said...

What a gorgeous quilt and Grammy Dot looks so happy with it!

Vicki W said...

She looks so happy with her new quilt! Great stash busting too!

Candace said...

It's a great quilt and such a nice thing to do. I'm sure it will be one of her treasures. I like the quilting and the mums.

Beth said...

Beautimous BFF!!! Great job on it as well as the stashbusting!!! WOOOOHOOOO!!!!!

Suzan said...

Love the colors...Such a nice gift and Grammy Dot looks thrilled to have it!

Tracy said...

Beautiful quilt, can we have a class for one of these?!
I wish I had a Grammy Dot! She looks tickled pink with her quilt!
Great choice with the mum fabric!

Regina said...

Just beautiful! What a wonderful thing - and SO much better than store bought!

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Congratulations Nancy.....stunning

Donna said...

Great quilt. The border is perfect. Grammy Dot looks so pleased.

shequilts said...

Hi Nancy. Thank you for the lovely comment. pincushion tutorial at http://whipup.net/2006/03/01/stickin-it-to-the-pincushion/ - I cut two of mine in a slightly flower shape, but don't bother - it's easier to do the embroidery thread thing "in the round".

I'm sure your Grammy Dot must be thrilled with her quilt, I would be. It really is lovely. I just made a stashbuster quilt (well, actually I made the blocks), but I don't think I managed quite the bust you did. :)

vtquilter said...

What a great quilt! I'll bet it made your day to see that smile on her face. Congrats on the quilt finish!

Katie said...

Wow.

julieQ said...

What a wonderful gift! It looks so nice on her bed. And that is a LOT of stashbusting!

quiltingnana said...

what a wonderful gift. Giving quilts to loved ones makes one feel so good.

Niki said...

Gorgeous! What pattern is it?